Principal Software Engineer
CDL is a well-established software house specialising in the retail insurance sector. We have a 40-year track record of innovation and success, with more than 100 major online brands such as Swinton, AA and Tesco Bank trusting us to deliver their insurance services. We are proud of our long history and privately owned status, which make for a strong sense of identity and community within our team. Our purpose-built new campus in Stockport houses over 600 staff and boasts facilities such as a subsidised restaurant and games room.
We’re growing and evolving. We use Scrum as the foundation of our development approach (scaled to around 10 teams on our larger products) and we aim to be a truly agile business, built around collaborative, empowered, and customer-focussed teams. We have a balance of established products and new developments, including complex enterprise systems as well as end user web portals and apps, and our ‘open to all’ dedicated incubator has already generated ground-breaking ideas that will help to change the insurance sector.
You will be working within our Software Engineering department as a Principal Developer working with our cross-functional delivery squads utilising agile frameworks to deliver value to our customers. You’ll be a key enabler for the department, driving the technical and development direction and implementing the target architectural designs throughout CDL. We encourage innovation and agility and look to embrace the latest technologies to provide ever increasing business benefits to our customers in the UK and beyond.
You’ll work closely with our Software Architect to ensure our products are developed the right way, delivering high quality software to meet customer and commercial needs in accordance with defined standards, CDL’s architectural pillars, good practice and agreed deadlines, helping CDL deliver an exceptional customer experience. This will occasionally involve working outside the normal working day.
You will be an ambassador for CDL, bringing new ideas into the teams and sharing knowledge internally and externally. There is opportunity to lead research and design activities in order to identify new and alternative technology solutions into the CDL products and services to meet business requirements in line with our strategy.
- The ability to communicate at a technical level suitable for the audience, presenting complex ideas and engaging with the business internally and occasionally with external customers.
- The ability to present to, and support the wider technology community, internally and externally.
- Experience of addressing technical debt with Software Development teams.
- Deep knowledge and experience of developing/ architecting high volume transactional applications – we use Java as the core language.
- Working knowledge and experience in agile approaches to software craftsmanship: Scrum essential (we use Scrum.org and its underlying values and principles), Kanban, Lean, systems thinking all a bonus.
- Ability to transfer and develop skills throughout the delivery teams, hands-on pairing with members of the team and supporting our Senior Developers in their role as mentors.
- Ability to embed good coding practices through coaching and technical leadership.
- Active interest of the development world through learning, networking and events.
- Previous experience in the Insurance industry.
- Experience working with and implementing Devops technologies and culture.
- Experience of solutions built around microservices and containerisation.
- Experience of using cloud-based technologies and solutions.
- Flexible hours
- Shuttle bus to and from Stockport station
- Subsidised restaurant
- 25 days holiday to start
- Social activities
- Dress down policy
- Tax free child care vouchers
- Life and health assurance
- Award nominated learning programmes
- Community projects
- Opportunities for career progression